Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Preach ONLY the Word of God!

"For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for I am under compulsion; for woe is me if I do not preach the gospel." -- 1 Corinthians 9:16

A vital question that all Christians should ask themselves is, "What should my pastor be preaching at my church?" I think the Christian church has really fallen into a lot of non-biblical preaching and teaching these days. They want to be "relevant", "attractive", and "appealing" to the unsaved people in their community. However, the Bible nowhere says that that is what our churches should be like!

Let's look at some Scriptures on what the main job of a pastor is on a Sunday morning:
All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof,for correction, for training in righteousness;

so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom:

preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires,
and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths.

- 2 Timothy 3:16- 4:1-4
This makes it very clear.

What are pastors supposed to be preaching about from the pulpit? THE WORD OF GOD!!

Not from the latest popular book, movie or TV show, some new study or finding, and not even the pastor's own experiences.

God's people want to hear God's Word, not man's word. I've heard a lot of pastor's say they are preaching from God's Word when they really aren't. Just quoting a few verses of Scripture to back up what you want to say to the congregation does not count as preaching from the Word.

The Bible should be the main source for the sermon, and nothing else!!

So, if you're a pastor, please...PREACH THE WORD!! If you aren't preaching from the Bible every Sunday, honestly, I don't know why you think you can be a pastor.

And if you're a Christian going to a church that is not preaching the Word faithfully every Sunday, I encourage you to start looking for a church that does.

Sola Scriptura! (Scripture Alone!)

2 comments:

  1. You're so right, Stacy! I agree with you completely.

    However, I do think that using means like quotes from books or people, scenes from movies (depending on the movie), and personal experience helps add to the authenticity of what is being taught from God's Word. It proves the point, if you will.

    BUT, pastors should START with the Word, NOT the other way around. The things mentioned above should only be to solidify what has already been taught from the Bible.

    That's just a way to make it more real and understandable to people. Jesus did the same thing with his Parables if you remember. Once He told the parable, He then explained it. To me, that's all those types of things are. Explanations.

    And lets be honest.. It helps to see the Word put into action. Don't you agree? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I totally agree! While I'm not personally a fan of movie clips in the church, I think it is definitely okay for a pastor to use "outside sources", as long as their used as little examples here and there. The Bible needs to be the main source, from where we get the sermon. Sooooo many pastors I see are using movies as the base for their sermon, and then just throwing in Bible verses. How about the "Kung Fu Panda sermon"...and I'm not kidding!!

    ReplyDelete

Please free feel to leave as many comments as you want! The only thing I ask is that you not swear, blaspheme God's name, or use any minced oaths. Thanks!