Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Only Suffient, Certain, and Infallible Rule

I love the 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith. It is what my particular "stripe" of Christianity holds as their main confession of faith. Of course is it not inspired and without error, but I believe it sums up really well many key doctrines of Scripture.

While I was reading the confession a few days ago, I found this section on the Bible and the Holy Spirit, and I thought I would share it with you all:


The Holy Scripture is the only sufficient, certain, and infallible rule of all saving knowledge, faith, and obedience.

It pleased the Lord to commit His revealed Truth wholly to writing. Therefore the Holy Scriptures are most necessary, those former ways by which God revealed His will unto His people having now ceased.

The whole counsel of God concerning all things necessary for His own glory, man's salvation, faith and life, is either expressly set down or necessarily contained in the Holy Scripture, to which nothing is to be added at any time, either by new revelation of the Spirit, or by the traditions of men.

Nevertheless, we acknowledge the inward illumination of the Spirit of God to be necessary for the saving understanding of such things as are revealed in the Word.
You can read the entire confession here.

1 comment:

  1. Stacy,

    Thank you so much for leaving me a kind comment! This is an excellent excerpt, and if the rest of this confession is as good, I am sure I agree with it too. It never occurred to me that we have less need of prophets and visions because we have the Word of God.

    -Maria

    ReplyDelete

Please free feel to leave as many comments as you want! The only thing I ask is that you not swear, blaspheme God's name, or use any minced oaths. Thanks!